Sunday, July 22, 2007

strayest of the strays

This just in! Whiskey and apple juice results in retardation! The stray cats went to a sweet birthday bash last night looking fabulous, drinking wayyyy too much whiskey and making out with one too many sexy gay men. Over hangover-recouvering-ceasars with a wild dogg friend, we discussed life and love and have come to the conclusion that you just cant rely on shit for nothin' (thanks tyler). I also got to thinking of a reoccurring trend in my dating life. Following different paths in life is what makes us all so unique, different, attractive and independent. It’s a thing to be celebrated, but it also makes me beg the question "is it impossible to make it work with someone who’s drifting down a different road then your own?" Blame it on society, so many choices, so many experiences to be had, career pressure, a constant search for personal fulfillment, but has that turned us into self involved ego maniacs, unwilling to deter from our comfortable lifestyle and self entitlement?
An old relationship of mine was drawn out for far too long because we ignored the fact that we had different visions of the future. It boggles my mind how we can disregard such an obvious red flag for the sake of your heart. I could have saved myself a lot of pain and nastiness had I stepped out of the situation for a second and realized that we didn’t see eye to eye. And like many before me and many after, we make the mistake of thinking the other half will eventually change their mind and follow you...I cant change the way my heart behaves, I know hes an asshole! I know hes conceited! I know I cant have it so why do I want it so bad? Is it built into our womanly DNA to be turned on by the chase? ah cest la vie I guess. I enjoy the game, so while Im going to try avoid getting myself into heartbreaking situations by taking the road less traveled and relishing in my own independence, quirkiness and desires, I wont let anyone divert me from the path Im on. You cant tame a stray. And thats my babbling for today...

No comments: